Art ♦ Painting ♦ Cooking ♦ Crochet ♦ Knitting ♦ Fashion ♦ Crafting ♦ Photography ♦ Humor ♦ Family






Monday, February 9, 2015

Keepin' It Real...

 ...fresh that is! Check out this cilantro that has been in the frig for 4 weeks and going.  I love this new trick and it works for other herbs too.  I used to buy cilantro and within a week it would be bad even though I kept it in water in the frig or washed & wrapped in paper towel like Rachel Ray.  Whichever, I always seemed to toss 1/2 of the bunch out eventually. Now I wash & dry it, put it in a dry clean jar and place it in the frig.  It stays fresh & ready to use!

I first tasted cilantro in salsa at my favorite Mexican restaurant a co-worker introduced me too back in the early 80's. (Louis's in Sacramento) I wasn't sure I liked it. It was not a flavor I was used to, it was weird, with an oily soapy taste, but this was no sissy salsa! They weren't shy with the Serrano peppers and that fire alone kept me coming back for more, so cilantro quickly grew to love it.  Sadly the old mom & pop run Louis's has been moved, he has passed and his son's have taken over & opened their own places with the same recipes.   There are so many ways I use it now besides salsa.  I use it when I make Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese, Indian curries, soups, sandwiches, sauces, & dressings. My frig can't be without it.
Now if I could only get it to grow....

4 weeks and going! Still fresh & usable.
You're welcome!
 

StumbleUpon.com

3 comments:

GlorV1 said...

oh that's great. I'll have to try that. I have cilantro growing in a wooden tub. Just buy the seed, put it in soil with a tad bit of fertilizer. Don't water too much. It will grow. Have a great day. Oh by the way...you can make like a pesto as you would with basil and then put in little container/s and freeze. Bye now.

Campbell Jane said...

I am going to give it a try this year. I have a purple thumb :( I got a Aero Garden last year, the big one and herbs are growing that pretty well because I don't have to water it! haha I'm going to start the cilantro in that & see what happens. The Pesto sounds good. I make a buttermilk dressing with lots of cilantro in it that everyone loves. I basically make a pesto but w/o the nuts, garlic, olive oil... but add to mayo & buttermilk. OH I'm getting hungry! Make it a great day! Peace & Love

GlorV1 said...

Sounds great. Good luck in your growing process.