Art ♦ Painting ♦ Cooking ♦ Crochet ♦ Knitting ♦ Fashion ♦ Crafting ♦ Photography ♦ Humor ♦ Family






Thursday, September 17, 2009

Still Clowning Around...

I know that "clown art" is not the most marketable thing to do. Red Skelton didn't do too bad but he was a clown. I also know the goal of a full-time artist is to make a comfortable living. I'm trying to reach that goal. And I know that these take considerable time to create, perhaps I should spend that time more wisely. However, lack of marketability & time isn't stopping me. Just painting & creating things that may be profitable would crush my creative spirit. I can't do it. I bore too easily. I paint & create things I like. If you like it too that makes it even more awesome & rewarding. I can make a chicken last for at least 3 dinners! LOL

These little clown people are a little freedom for me to do something silly, get some" lowbrow" juices flowing, make something crazy, something out of the ordinary, unexpected and at the same time I am getting comfortable with a new medium, oil pastels. I think I'm getting better at using them. Learning to work color from light to dark. These little clowns are beginning not to scare me but make me happy. Life is a Circus enough, channel your inner clown!

StumbleUpon.com

6 comments:

Art by Darla Kay said...

They're cute! I painted a clown awhile back too and had the most fun painting her. I didn't worry so much if she sold and sure enough, she did within a few days!
Not everyone likes clowns, but there ARE people who do and actually some who collect them :)
Your's are great and glad you're having fun creating them!
Darla

Wall Flower Studio said...

Love the clowns, Janet! : ) They are so much fun...!
That's what creating art is all about! The process should be enjoyable and rewarding, as it obviously is for you. Everything else will follow. : )

starblinkee said...

When it comes to art, artists must never cease to create out of the richness of their souls and imaginations. You are doing the right thing. There should be a dividing line between doing something that is marketable and something out of the abundance of your talent. Sacrificing the latter could also cost the other purpose for which you create.

Campbell Jane said...

Thank you all!

granmamimi said...

Now, these are the type of clown faces I like..not scarry, sooo soulful and sad,just like Red Skelton!

Joanne Olivieri said...

Love the second one. They are so colorful and creative, plus they tell stories. And, I have to say you have that creating and doing what you love is more important than money can ever be.