Art ♦ Painting ♦ Cooking ♦ Crochet ♦ Knitting ♦ Fashion ♦ Crafting ♦ Photography ♦ Humor ♦ Family






Saturday, February 9, 2013

Happy New Year Again!

Chinese New Year starts Feb 10th. When I'm not painting I'm sewing or have some kind of needle in my hand. I have so much fabric it's shameful. I decided I better start doing something with it or else... This is the project I just finished and can't wait to start the next one! Some of my next projects may include painted fabric or some of my art printed on fabric.

"Happy New Year"
A beautiful butterfly soars & red Chinese lanterns flutter in the wind over a quaint Chinese village celebrating the New Year.
I was inspired by a piece of designer fabric by Kaufmann, a Chinese Toile.  It started a daydream. The print looks like a rural chinese festival & tea party.
I started with a vintage GUESS George Marciano denim jacket I was lucky to find at the local 2nd hand store.


 
I cut red circles out of fabric then bleached a portion of them for the bottom of the lanterns. Free motion embroidery was used to attach the strings & to complete the lanterns. I added sequins & rhinestones. A pretty blue denim butterfly was on a piece of fabric my sister had sent me that matched perfect! I added it for a little perspective. We are soaring over the festival! I attached  the entire piece as close to the seam as possible with a black machine blanket stitch. The lanterns swing from strings of vintage black velvet that has a glitter print that just twinkles in the light, sequins & diamond like rhinestones top the lanterns.  I used different colored sequins for the strings of the lanterns.  I had put a butterfly at the top of the jacket too but I ended up removing it.  Maybe I will make me one too, I would wear it to San Francisco when we go have Dim Sum!
I hope this inspires you to dive right in & cut something up!
Happy Chinese New Year!
 

StumbleUpon.com

2 comments:

GlorV1 said...

Excellent work. Love your creation. Video was great too. Hope all is well with you and nice to see you posting again. Have a great weekend.

Campbell Jane said...

Thanks so much sweet Gloria!! You are a ray of sunshine! Create a great day!