Art ♦ Painting ♦ Cooking ♦ Crochet ♦ Knitting ♦ Fashion ♦ Crafting ♦ Photography ♦ Humor ♦ Family






Sunday, March 21, 2010

Entertaining Myself

The Marco Fuoco Gallery's April show's theme is Surrealism. Unfortunately I won't be able to attend the show on April 10th but I do plan to get over there to see the pieces for sure.
Honestly other than being familiar with a few famous pieces, mainly Salvadore Dali's , surrealism is a genre I didn't know much about. I love this Wiki picture of Dali. Looks like an interesting dinner companion don't you think?! I spent a few interesting hours reading & learning about surrealism. I then headed up to my studio to work on a few pieces. I find myself working on more than one piece at a time lately. I was just cleaning up to go to bed when I spied this canvas. It has been painted a couple of times, *experiments*, ready for the recycle bin really, and this vision popped into my head. I applied my first layer of paint for my practice in surrealism. I ended up staying up to the wee hours of the morning happily entertaining myself with this piece. I may finish it one day. I was having so much fun I lost track of time and had to tip toe to bed & slither delicately under the covers.
"The Entertainer"
Sticking the neck out is always easy
even with the chopping block close at hand
Completely comfortable with eyes that are always on,
but they weight on the shoulders like sleep deprived lids
Motivated and Blinded by the rose colored glasses,
one self's biggest fan
Oblivious to "critical" acclaim

StumbleUpon.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love surrealism and Dali is absolutely my favorite! I don't know why, but I'm not fond of impressionist painting and when I paint, this is what it looks like. I love surrealism, but when I try to paint it, it looks like deranged impressionistic!

Star said...

Very interesting painting and I like the verse.